29 May 2012

{Dinner} Saltimbocca

Everyone has that one food they will probably never try.

For me, that food is veal. There's nothing appealing about veal to me. It's just one of those things.

So whenever I see a delicious-looking veal recipe, I automatically adapt it to either chicken or regular beef.




This saltimbocca, though, is something I had in a local Italian restaurant that I've been desperately trying to replicate in my kitchen. The restaurant saltimbocca was served in a creamy sauce with cheese, but I still have more experimenting to do before I can get to that point. The original plan had been to share a recipe in this post, but since I know I'm going to make so many changes next time I make it, I'm going to hold off.

Still, the process will pretty much be the same.

You layer prosciutto and sage leaves on chicken and then cook it in oil.


Then remove to a glass cooking dish and add chicken stock and dry white wine to the pan to deglaze.


Cook it down until it thickens and then pour it over the chicken breasts.


And then bake them until they're done.

The problem with adapting this recipe is that the veal doesn't take as long to cook as chicken does. So baking it was an improvisation on my part and it worked out really well in the end. However, the sage taste was way too strong. Other Saltimbocca recipes don't have the sage leaves between the prosciutto and chicken, they have it on top. But I don't even think I'd like that very much... I think next time I make it, I'll use rubbed sage.



I'm also going to make the variation, called "Saltimbocca alla Romana," which uses Marsala wine in the sauce. And somehow, someday, I will figure out how to replicate the cheese that came on top.

I can't wait to try this recipe again, this one had lots of potential.

Are there any foods you simply are unwilling to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment