07 May 2012

{Baking} Chocolate Orange Cupcakes


Yay! A successful baking endeavor!

I told my friends I was going to be getting my KitchenAid out of storage and asked if anyone wanted cupcakes sent to them. This was for two reasons. One, I have less people in my immediate vicinity to bake for. When we lived in Tallahassee, we lived next door to some of our closest friends. As a result, our condo was constantly overrun with hungry men raiding the fridge and pantry. Baking was a cinch, because I knew I could put out a cake or cupcakes and they would be gone in a matter of hours, and I wouldn't be the one eating them. 

Second, my younger brother is now in Kuwait. He likes cookies just fine, but he'll get those in excess from my sister (who specializes in snickerdoodles and nothing more) and knowing I'm a baker, he expects a little more from me. So I wanted to send cupcakes domestically to see how they would hold up against the good ol' USPS.

Four of my friends responded in favor of receiving cupcakes, so I broke out my new Williams-Sonoma cookbook and baked their Chocolate Orange Cupcakes.




In a small bowl, I whisked together the cocoa powder with boiling water.



I sifted together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.


And added the zest of an orange.


And in my KitchenAid bowl went the sugar and eggs.


And beat them with the paddle attachment until well mixed.


Then I added the flour mixture and chocolate mixture in alternating batches.


Until it looks like: 


Mmm!


I got these adorable cupcake liners at the supermarket, because they're sturdier and have elegant little gold swirls on them.


I didn't decorate the cupcakes with much care since I knew the frosting would get smashed in the mail. I piped it on to keep it on the center of the top, as opposed to spreading it on across the top. It ended up being effective:

Photo credit: @stephrenb

The frosting ended up melting down in the mail and slathering itself all over the cupcakes for me. Thanks, USPS!

Still, they aren't the most gorgeous cupcakes. In my next post I'll chronicle how I sent them and the things I will change next time I send some out. My main objective this time was maintaining freshness and moisture and everyone who got cupcakes say they taste delish. (Hopefully they're not just being nice.)

One more cupcakes shot! By the way, that's my brother-in-law in the background, mixing Manhattans for himself and Mr. Cheddar and generally getting in my way ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment