11 May 2012

{Baking} Espresso Bars


Is there anything better than a gooey chocolate brownie?

Well, for coffee addicts such as myself, YES! A gooey chocolate-espresso brownie!

Except I cheated and used instant coffee, put into a coffee grinder until it was a fine powder. Oh great, now you know my secret!

I'll be honest, I didn't have high hopes for this when I was putting it into the oven. I am a serial batter-taster, much to Mr. Cheddar's chagrin. ("There are raw eggs in that! You shouldn't be eating it!") He's right, sure, but I taste everything as I go, even when I'm cooking dinner.

This batter, when taste-tested, was pretty bitter. And no wonder, it required three tablespoons of espresso powder with only a cup of light brown sugar to sweeten it up.

But when they came out of the oven, they were surprisingly savory! These bars are for people who are dark chocolate fanatics--people who like to get their chocolate fix without a lot of sugar. Luckily, I am one of those people!


No matter how annoying or time-consuming it might feel, sifting the dry ingredients is always beneficial. Sometimes I cheat and don't sift flour (especially when I don't have a sifter handy) but it always makes a difference in the final outcome of the dish. But cocoa powder is ALWAYS lumpy, so sifting is necessary in those cases.


And you can't cut corners melting chocolate. The lower the temperature, the better.

The eggs and brown sugar were whisked together in another bowl, but I forgot to take a picture of that.


The batter is thick and unwieldy, and like I said, really bitter. I put this into the oven not expecting much.


But they came out looking brownie-licious and smelling great, so I went ahead and made the glaze.


Instant coffee dissolved in whipping cream. Once it had little bubbles, I added the chocolate chips and took it off the heat to let it melt.


Mmm, tasty!

I don't post the recipes since that would be infringing on the Williams-Sonoma book I'm mercilessly stealing from, but my next post will feature a recipe of my own making, so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment